Norton Bavant Snow Scene
Norton Bavant Snow Scene Norton Bavant Snow Scene Norton Bavant Snow Scene Norton Bavant Snow Scene Norton Bavant Snow Scene
 
Village History - The Village  

The village of Norton Bavant is by-passed by the main road to Salisbury from Warminster, and stands spread out by the waters of the Wylye, today seemingly remote from view.  Like other villages on or near the chalk downs it had few nonconformists – just the odd Anabaptist and Quaker – and a permanent place of worship was never established in the village.

After the middle of the 19th century provision was made for a village school and it continued with an average attendance of some 25 children until 1921 when it was closed.  The children are now conveyed by coach to larger schools nearby.

Norton Bavant House, close by the church, is a substantial mansion of stone which was built in 1640 and altered somewhat in 1720.  It has seven bays, being two storeys with a hipped roof.  A shell-hood on carved brackets is over the doorway.  Some of the outbuildings appear to be Tudor.  In 1783 the nearby Vicarage was part brick and part stone with a thatched roof.  It contained a parlour and two good small chambers.

Two old cottages, dated 1635, were made into one by Col John Benett-Standford.  With thatched roof, leaded panes in the small windows and dripstones above them, and in the warm red brick, they are very attractive.

Next Previous

 
   
   
WEBSITE DESIGN: Juice Factory Website Design
    juice-factory.co.uk