Norton Bavant Snow Scene
Norton Bavant Snow Scene Norton Bavant Snow Scene Norton Bavant Snow Scene Norton Bavant Snow Scene Norton Bavant Snow Scene
 
Village History - The Domesday Inquest - 1086  

At the time of the survey, Norton was held by Alfred himself with no under-tenant.  Before 1066 it paid tax for 11 hides.  It included land for 8 ploughs of which 6 hides were in the lord’s demesne.  2 other ploughs and 2 slaves.  12 villagers and 8 smallholders had 6 ploughs between them.  2 mills on the Wylye paid 40s.  There was 10 acres of meadow, pastureland 4 furlongs long and 2 furlongs wide, and woodland ½ league long and 4 furlongs wide.  The value of the manor had decreased from £24 to £14.

This drop in worth of Norton from £24 to £14 between Anglo-Saxon times and 1086 was the largest amount of any manor in Wiltshire.  This might have come about due to the manor being reduced in size to extend the hunting area of the royal forest of Selwood, and this might account for the two detached parts of the manor.

Some 115 acres, and containing Hendford Marsh Mill, is detached 2 miles west at a place formally called Rodhurst in Norton, now named Butler’s Coombe after a family, le Boteler, who held it early on from the Scudamores.  The other outlying part was on the Somerset border some 6 miles from Norton.  The villeins of Norton had right of common there but did not exercise their right because it was too far away.  Part of it, Elmwell Wood, is spelt “Ernewella” in early documents – “the grove of the eagles”.  Dartford Wood is named after later owners of the manor, Dartford Priory.  In 1888 these outlying parts of the manor were transferred, the former to Warminster and the latter to Corsley parish.

Next Previous

 
   
   
WEBSITE DESIGN: Juice Factory Website Design
    juice-factory.co.uk